Saturday, June 11, 2011

Why “Just say “Stoppit” still does not work!

Because we work with people we are constantly confronted with the question “why can’t I just stop it”. Now you fill in the blank...stop what? What is it in your life that you have struggled with for perhaps years? You have prayed, promised and who knows what.....
Oh, it may have disappeared for a while but, at last, there it is a gain. So you begin to ask all kinds of questions like why doesn’t God change me? What am I doing wrong? You may have come to the place of asking what is wrong with me? Or you may have reached the place of believing there is something wrong with you. This often shows up as “I just must not be saved”. While this may be a possibility, it is most likely not the answer. And can only lead to a frustrated Christian life. The problem is more likely that you have been attempting the Christian life from a “Law Based” perspective.

Law says, you must not, you should not or just say “stoppit”.
I call this the Law of Prohibition:
A law or decree that forbids. “Opposed to Grace”
Laws by nature tend to be negative “Do Not”. Any Law we establish as an “I will not” causes us to “focus” on the “negative” or issue whatever it may be. It magnifies and increases my desire for (you fill it in) by activating the Power of Focus. The continual struggle to “stop” or “refrain From” in fact makes it my “Dominant Thought”. We only get what we want, not what we don’t want.
So, how is that working for you?
The answer is found in Galatians 5:16
“But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh”

Have you experienced this?
Leave a comment........


Suggested Reading:

Classic Christianity 
By: Bob George

No comments:

Post a Comment