Saturday, November 20, 2010

What Happens With The Boys........

In my last post I raised the question, “Is The Traditional Male an Endangered Species”.
Yes, we are! Now I am not running around with my hair on fire over this issue but, if those of us who remain do not become proactive our demise will continue. In my next several post I plan to explore some thoughts about Masculinity and the need for it in our culture today.

My Point is “What Happens with The Boys should stay with The Boys”

For as long as I can remember there have been groups organizations etc that were just for “The Boys” and those just for “The Girls” though I will leave that for the Girls to discuss.(Just a side note here, I love girls...I am happily married to one...But....) This is not a rights issue, it is about Manliness and Masculinity and Boys being Boys and growing up to be Men. I don’t want this to turn into a history lesson but, did you ever see a  Girl Gladiator? Just picture Maximus as a woman. How bout William Wallace in Braveheart...a woman? I don’t think so. There was a time when all soldiers were Men (again, not a rights or competence issue) but combat is a Man Thing. I was in a meeting in the mid seventies with Dr. James Dobson as he expressed his concerns about the growing trend toward “demasculinizing” boys and therefore men. The big cry then was remove recess from school because there “boys would be boys”. The bottom line, was they wanted Boys to more like girls. (more on this later)
It’s called “neutering” ....(more on that in another post too).
The “Boy Scouts” of America came into being in 1910. It was, as it’s name implies an organization for and about Boys. However in the mid seventies something began to surface. Women were allowed to become leaders and girls began to apply for membership (guess when?) yep, mid seventies.Now the scouts have over 4.5 million not “Boys”, but “youth”...can you say (gender neutral)? If you can’t, you best wake up and smell the coffee before it is too late. Then there is the whole Little League baseball thing........

My point is that there are times when Men and their Boys need to be together without the Girls so they can be Boys and the little Boys can be “masculinized” so they grow up into Men. We need them to grow up to be Traditional Males!

This series will continue next week with a post regarding the “Social re-engineering of Boys” In the meanwhile why don’t you take a tip from Yogi Berra’s quote below and let me know what you think.....

"You can observe a lot just by watching." ~ Yogi Berra

See you next time.................

                                 http://themasculinesoul.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment